Posted July 15, 2020 5:28 pm by

NAIROBI, Kenya, Jul 15- The Ministry of Health now says that four healthcare workers have so far succumbed to coronavirus in the line of duty since the first case was reported in the country mid-March.

Health Chief Administrative Secretary Dr Rashid Aman on Wednesday said the government was getting increasingly concerned on the safety of healthcare workers, and committed to adequately protect them.

“There has been noted that the transmission of the disease among healthcare workers is associated with lack of established practices of infection control and poor implementation of infection and prevention control guideline protocol while in other situations is due to lack of knowledge of this virus,” Aman said, on the week Kenya the first medical doctor to the virus. Dr Doreen Lugaki was buried last week in Western Kenya.

He revealed that as of Wednesday, 450 healthcare workers had tested positive for the virus and assured that the government is prioritizing their safety as they continue to work in the frontline in the fight against COVID-19.

“The occupational health risk to healthcare workers posed by COVID-19 has attracted global and national concern. The government will continue to place extreme importance on protection of health care workers. When healthcare workers are at risk, we are all at risk,” Aman added.

On Wednesday, Kenya recorded 461 new coronavirus infections raising the total number of those who have been infected by the virus in the country to 11, 252.

Dr Aman said the new cases were detected from 4, 261 samples which were tested since Tuesday.

Read More…Govt committed to protect healthcare workers after four deaths  Govt committed to protect healthcare workers after four deaths  Govt committed to protect healthcare workers after four deaths  Govt committed to protect healthcare workers after four deaths