Posted November 3, 2020 9:29 am by

Gunman on the run after Vienna ‘terror attack’ leaves two dead

One of the gunmen was shot dead by police who said they were hunting for at least one more attacker still at large © AFP / Joe Klamar

Vienna, Austria, Nov 2 – A huge manhunt was under way Tuesday after gunmen opened fire at multiple locations across central Vienna, killing at least two people and wounding several more in what Austrian Chancellor Sebastian Kurz describes as a “repulsive terror attack”.

One of the gunmen was shot dead by police who said they were hunting for at least one more assailant still at large.

The attacks, in six locations including near a synagogue in the centre of the city, were carried out by “several suspects armed with rifles”, police said on Monday night.

The shooting began just hours before Austria was to re-impose a coronavirus lockdown, with people out in bars and restaurants enjoying a final night of relative freedom.

Gunman on the run after Vienna ‘terror attack’ leaves two dead

The attacks, in six locations including near a synagogue, were carried out by “several suspects armed with rifles”, police said © AFP / Joe Klamar

Police initially said one person had been killed by the gunman, with public broadcaster ORF describing them as a passer-by.

Vienna mayor Michael Ludwig later told ORF that a second person had died of her injuries, and that 15 people had been taken to hospital, seven of them seriously wounded.

Police said that an officer had also been hurt during the attacks.

The attacks started at around 8 pm (1900 GMT) when the first gunshots were heard in the city’s centrally located first district.

In a press conference in the early hours of Tuesday, Interior Minister Karl Nehammer said: “According to what we currently know, there is at least one attacker who is still on the run.”

Gunman on the run after Vienna ‘terror attack’ leaves two dead

Police said earlier that an officer had also been hurt during the assaults © AFP / JOE KLAMAR

It was unclear how many assailants were involved in the assault.

Speaking to ORF, Austrian leader Kurz said the attackers were “were very well equipped with automatic weapons” and had “prepared professionally”.

Earlier, he tweeted: “Our police will act decisively against the perpetrators of this repulsive terror attack,” adding that “we will never be intimidated by terrorism and we will fight this attack with all means”.

Kurz said that while police were concentrating on the anti-terror operation, Read More…Gunman on the run after Vienna ‘terror attack’ leaves two dead  Gunman on the run after Vienna ‘terror attack’ leaves two dead  Gunman on the run after Vienna ‘terror attack’ leaves two dead  Gunman on the run after Vienna ‘terror attack’ leaves two dead